On May 27, 1967, the Lugano-Tesserete Railway made its last journey. The line, opened on July 28, 1909, had a length of 7.8 km and a maximum gradient of 60 per thousand. During the entire period of activity, the electromotors built in 1909 were always used and operated with a line voltage of 1000V current keep it going. With a maximum speed of 45km / h it was possible to reach Tesserete from Lugano in 30 minutes.
The closure of the railway and the replacement of the service with a bus line was decided following the important investments necessary to renew both the infrastructure and the rolling stock, both now reduced to a precarious state.
One of the most rooted anecdotes in popular memory is that of the presence of Benito Mussolini among the workers who dug the 68m long tunnel in Porza. The gallery is still known today as "the duce's gallery". However, there are conflicting opinions on the historical veracity of this legend ...
In 2017 on the route of the railway line there is a cycle / pedestrian path.